September 25, 2012

Newsday Tuesday

Favorite Tweets:

Book News:

(I will be showing this to my students because I’ve been having my own banned book drama this week).

16 comments so far.

16 responses to “Newsday Tuesday”

1. Bea says:

I enjoyed your banned book video. The lines read from each book were great ones, and it helps to prove a point. Those books shown are all great classics, and to think that they have been banned somewhere is sad.
    I also had read about the library with no rules, and we could almost pull that off here at home.
    Thanks for filling this Newsie up.

2. Hope you are going to share your own banned book drama, sounds like a great post already 🙂 The irony of banned books is that by giving them that status, even in only momentarily almost guarantees that they will become either a classic, a cult read, or a mega bestseller. For that reason, we almost can’t be too indignant about them – it reminds me of the great pagan stones of Aylesbury (near Stonehenge) which the Christians by pushing them over and burying them, actually saved them from likely destruction, so that they remain for us to see today.

• Cassie says:

Unfortunately, I can’t share my banned books story on my public blog. 🙁 I had no idea about Aylesbury so that’s really interesting. I’m going to google around and read a bit more on it after I finish typing this comment.

It’s so true that we read banned books almost more often than others. I mean practically every book on American high school reading lists is banned somewhere.

3. Jen de Ridder says:

Lots to dig through this week. Good stuff.

4. I am so looking forward to reading J.K. Rowling’s new book. I watched an interview with her on Good Morning America this morning. 🙂 Thanks for the New Yorker link 🙂

• Cassie says:

I’m a little scared to read her new book and I don’t even know why. How can her second of anything top Harry Potter. It’s like watching the second movie of something and realizing nothing’s as good as the first. I will read it though because it’s her first adult book so surely it’s still quite powerful. : ) The New Yorker link is awesome, definitely an interesting read. She gives very few interviews so I was interested in reading that.

5. Dang, I never knew there was a Roald Dahl museum! V. exciting. Also, the New Yorker piece is fantastic.

6. Bea says:

I am just glad that JK Rowling continued to write after Harry Potter. I am not certain of this, but isn’t it the author of “To Kill A Mockingbird” that never wrote another book? The pressure has to be intense to create another Harry Potter, and I can understand why some don’t try again. Congrats to her!

7. Dravite says:

I have nominated you for the A Lovely Blog award! Check out my blog for the rules 😉