January 31, 2012

Newsday Tuesday:

I recently discovered the tool that lets google and other search engines show your blog when people go traipsing about the internet.  And it has yielded some fantastic results.  As this is my personal news show, I decided to share these results with you.  Please keep in mind what you’re seeing here are actual search terms by actual people (unless there really are robots using computers).  However, no animals were used in the testing of these terms.

That is it for this weeks: Search Terms.  Add a catchy song voice to it when you say it, ready, go: “Search Terms.”  Like in that commercial where they go, “Dot Com.”  I have already forgotten the rest.

Now onto the BOOK news:

Clever Docking for Book Lover

Recently, I finished two PRINT books with obvious technical errors (extra words, unreadable sentences) and it kind of shocked me. Are we so obsessed with the e-book culture that we have editor’s who slack on the printing, reading and editing of new, and profound literature?  Does the e-book culture make people care less about the technicalities of a book and more about the font, since they feel it isn’t as serious as coming off a printing machine?  I’ve already found two errors in Wildwood (the print version), my new favorite children’s book series and I’m only 167 pages in on the 500 and some page book.  It’s just disappointing that not only is this happening in e-literature, but in print books now as well.  Has e-literature just made this acceptable, period?  I’m usually not an angry letter writer (although that would fit with my demure personality) but I think I’m going to have to write Harper Children’s for this one.  As most of you know, Harper Perennial is like my dream Publisher.  I would wipe toilet seats to work in that office.  If a branch of Harper is going to have quick, technical errors like this in a huge, illustrated, and fantastic adventure story – how can I justify that they’re (fixed thanks to Claire, YAY)! my favorite publisher? Get your shit together, Harper.  I know that sometimes errors slip by, but this is the second one in one book and just because it’s a children’s book doesn’t means it needs a less editorial stringent process.  Adults read these books too, that’s why it says “9+” on it.  (Mini-rant).
Everyone enjoy their Tuesdays, and regardless of error – pick up your copy of Wildwood today.

53 comments so far.

53 responses to “Newsday Tuesday:”

1. Kevin says:

Are these words that can be used to find your blog? I’m always amazed at some of the ways my blog gets found. I had always people just googled “Most Genius Blog of All-Time” to find me. Turns out, it’s mostly just people seeking out “Ohio State sucks” or “DirecTV sucks.”

• Cassie says:

At least you use the prettiest words to say Ohio State Sucks right? Apparently all of those searches lead to this here blog. It kind of scares me…and makes me feel like I need a shower.

2. Kevin says:

• Cassie says:

3. I LOVED the book thief adn enjoy your reviews
    As far as typos, they’re not just confined to e-books. I’ve been getting ticked off reading actual newspapers and books:

4. I LOVED the book thief adn enjoy your reviews

5. OK, I’m in love with the book charger. Gorgeous.
    And I need to get my hands on a copy of Wildwood. I heard Colin Meloy talk about it briefly on “Wait, Wait…Don’t Tell Me” and he was as clever and charming as you would expect.
    Thanks for stopping by my blog and for the kind words!
    Haley

• Cassie says:

Ouuu I need to listen to that podcast then. His wife and him are adorable in all the photos I’ve seen of them. She’s the illustrator which makes me even happier about this book. You should definitely read it – it’s wonderful.
      And I have followed, so I will be stopping by to (in the most non-creepy way ever) stalk your adorable family!

6. OK, I’m in love with the book charger. Gorgeous.
    Thanks for stopping by my blog and for the kind words!
    Haley

• Cassie says:

7. ClaireMcA says:

Very out there search terms, mind boggling 🙂
    Sorry to have to point it out but, “their my favorite publisher?” Better fix that error before you write the letter.
    Great news summary and love the image you have created, such a talented girl!

8. ClaireMcA says:

Very out there search terms, mind boggling 🙂
    Great news summary and love the image you have created, such a talented girl!

9. Cassie says:

Haha, I know right.
    And this is why I so love that you read my blog, Claire. I obviously need an editor, haha. I’m slacking doing everything at once. Plus, there, their and they’re has always been a problem for me. I can do the your, you’re and the it’s its majority of the time – but those sneaky there/their/they’re(‘s) BAHHHH!!!
    And thank you, love!

• ClaireMcA says:

I thought initially it was deliberate irony, I mean perfect placement, enticing invitation to respond, then again I pondered, maybe it’s just Murphy’s law 🙂
      I love your blog and the freedom to comment and share, I use my travel and life experiences in my fiction and short stories which don’t yet have an outlet, so my blog was an attempt to have a public voice, albeit a somewhat restrained one, when I am so full of stories I would love to share and will eventually I am sure.

• Cassie says:

I would love to read some of your fiction and short stories since that’s half of what I do for a living, haha. Whenever you send them out into the reading world. 🙂

10. Bea says:

I know that when you are on a roll, there is they’re is their, and don’t get me started on those plural and possessives! As for Newsday Tuesday, just another great day in book news, but when are those poems showing up in the Raleigh, NC buses. Now that’s news I need.

11. Bea says:

12. Stephanie says:

Great links! And I totally agree. I think people are using the new and unfamiliar platform of e-books as an excuse for shoddy formatting and more mistakes than traditional print.

13. Stephanie says:

14. jmpix says:

I love Markus Zusak….not only The Book Thief…but also I am the Messenger…great read. I have to get one of those awesome ipod docks…how cool…ps. great article and links 🙂

15. jmpix says:

16. ceciliag says:

OK I dock rocks, lathering up girlie does not, ERRORS in printed works (i just had a rant about that on someone else’s page a few minutes ago) You are very very naughty which is good!! ha ha.. now i shall go back and check out some of these links.. have fun. celi

17. ceciliag says:

18. Ah! I love A Wrinkle In Time!

19. Remember the AR program in middle school? Yeah, well I hated it. Strong words, but so true. I do NOT like being told what to do and how much to read. Telling me to do something will have the exact opposite effect, I must admit. It is the small corner of the rebellious side in me. ANYways, A Wrinkle in Time saved my book-loving-life and I am eternally grateful for that woman! I tore through the rest of the “time quintet” and I haven’t been the same girls since!

20. Jen Thompson says:

You’ve given me loads of stuff to look up and ponder over, thanks Cassie 🙂

21. Marie says:

Great post with lots of great links!

22. Awesome, awesome post! Now, onto the book: was it an uncorrected proof or ARC? If not, SHAME on them! Second, searches tor my blog are pretty boring, except someone who looked up feminist bitches. That one made me giddy…. also, there’s some great Indie stuff out there. Try something by Tin House or Atticus or even a university press. Also, I have to say, regardless of how creepy and non-feminist it sounds: you look so PRETTY in your picture!

• Cassie says:

You are so funny. I love that you used feminist in two places in one paragraph – it just makes me happy. AND NO! No uncorrected proof, got it straight from the independent bookstores hands. So disappointed. I love, love, love Tin House. I will have to try Atticus. This reminds me I need to renew my subscription to Tin House.
      And thank you for the compliments on my face. YAY! That makes my day. : )

23. I can’t decide which post made me snicker more–this or the previous. You crack me up. Thanks for the laugh (and for horrifying me with the disturbing things people google…I think *washes eyes from the burn*) ;0). And yay on Wrinkle in Time’s bday!!!

24. I can’t decide which post made me snicker more–this or the previous. You crack me up. Thanks for the laugh (and for horrifying me with the disturbing things people google…I think *washes eyes from the burn*) ;0). And yay on Wrinkle in Time’s bday!!!

25. daterofboys says:

Sharapova: bringing bloggers together since Jan 31.

26. daterofboys says:

Sharapova: bringing bloggers together since Jan 31.

27. […] post on search terms comes to you after I read a similar post by this blogger (she’s a great writer and you should all follow her). Anyway, it made me think about the […]

28. […] post on search terms comes to you after I read a similar post by this blogger (she’s a great writer and you should all follow her). anyway, it made me think about the bizarre […]